Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Consulting Detective

So very recently I've gotten very into BBC's Sherlock.

I'm not very good at fan arting or things of that nature so I decided the best way to show my complete and utter adoration of the show that I would make a franken collection. I have made six polishes so far. I still need to make polishes for Lestrade, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson, and the Great Game. I have ideas for everything except the Great Game. It's so hard to get a color from that episode!

Anyway I thought I would start the blog off with a bang and show the swatches of the collection. I'll do one for each post, mostly to buy some time to make the polishes I haven't made yet.

The first polish is based off of Sherlock. It's called Consulting Detective.

It's an odd shade of blue. It looks pretty light in these pictures. It looks like an ocean blue but it's actually the same color as a dark wash blue jean.

I've actually been wearing this on and off for the past week or so. I alternate between it and A Study In Pink, which I will swatch in a few days, and when I do I'll edit this post to include a link.



It actually has this lovely shimmer about it that I didn't notice when making it. I only noticed when I went outside the one day where it wasn't disgusting and overcast.

The only compliant I've had with the polish I've had so far is that it cracks really quickly. I'll put it on in the morning and by the time I get home from classes I will notice that my pointer and thumb nails have big huge cracks. It doesn't chip, it cracks under the topcoat. I'm trying to figure out what exactly is causing the problem

I thought this color would look lovely in matte, and it does, but there is a problem.

"What are those gross white dots?" You might ask. Those gross white dots are a sign that I need to buy a better quality matte topcoat. Currently I have Hard Candy's Matte-ly in Love which is actually pretty durable but has this weird glitter in it, which doesn't translate at all. It ends up like looking like I got dust on my nails and didn't clean them before putting the top coat on.


I've actually only used Matte-ly in Love once before. It did have those yucky white dots the first time but it wasn't as notciable. I used it on this mani, but it was busy enough that you can't see them in the photo.

I am going to purchase either Essie's Matte About You (so many matte puns) or Man-e-cure when I reorder some China Glazes. A lot of good China Glazes have been sacrificed for this franken line, but their sacrifice shall not be in vain.

Tomorrow I will post swatches for my Watson based polish. Boy am I excited!

2 comments:

  1. I get those same white dots with Essie Matte About You :S

    But this colour is wonderful, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you selling that polish? lol ;}

    ReplyDelete